External hard drive, the files hidden.

Liger01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hello,
My external hard drive is connected and everything, and I know there is space 60 gb of space being used, but I can't see the files, is there way I can.

Solution

Hello,
From your info, the desktop computer does recognize the laptop HDD as Disk 1, and it sees both partitions on it. Because the Recovery Partition G is listed as Active, I...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there and Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Please be as detailed as you can about your present computer, this external HDD, make, model#, size, how the 60GB of data was placed there, and how it was partitioned. Also how it is connected to your desktop computer (USB, eSATA etc)

Go to Disk Management and in the lower graphical area, see if your internal HDD is listed as Disk 0, and if this external drive is listed below that, probably as Disk 1. Report what is listed in the Drive Status area, and the volume Status area below the colored bar.

That way we can figure out what's going on.

Liger01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
My laptop dell latitude E5510 had crashed, so I removed the hard drive connected it using 2.5 usb sata hard drive adaptor, the problem is the fact is I can see that there is space being used, but the files are hidden from view.

I went to disk management it is listed has, internal hard drive has disk 0, and external has disk 1

the recovery drive G: healthy (active, Primary Partition)11.76Gb NTFS, OS H: Healthy (Primary Partitions) 221.08 Gb NTFS

The model of the Hard drive is WD(western digital) MDL: WD2500BEKT-75A25T0 250GB SATA Laptop Hard Drive

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hello,
From your info, the desktop computer does recognize the laptop HDD as Disk 1, and it sees both partitions on it. Because the Recovery Partition G is listed as Active, I would first boot up your desktop without the USB laptop HDD connected, so there is no conflict with the BIOS transferring control to the Active Partition of your internal System Drive. Then connect the USB drive, and you will see the Disk 1, and it's 2 partitions. In Windows Explorer, click on the 'OS' H: Partition, and you should see your files there in the 221 GB NTFS partition. From your listing, it all checks out properly!

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Next time you boot up, go to Disk Management and in the lower graphical section, the second row with Disk 1, over in the Volume Status area where it lists OS H: etc, right click that area and click on 'change drive letter or mount path' and choose another available letter. See if that will make the partition visible in Windows Explorer

Liger01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I tried it still, the same, anymore suggestions?

Liger01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
thanks for the help, but I went gave the hard drive with the crashed laptop, since they wouldn't give me another laptop without it, though I really appreciate the help, I will have to leave it in fate's hand if they actually recover the memory or wipe it, like told them to thanks again.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi there,
Since this thread is 2 years old, please start a new thread with your problem and you should have many more folks reading and responding to it.

bcbradl5y

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

TRENDING THREADS