External hard drive through usb hub

Benefit13

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
My Seagate backup plus slim portable hard drive isn't registering through my usb hub any longer (but will when directly connected). The other devices still function just fine (so it's not the hub itself - and I did shuffle the connection points). I did just update the Seagate's software but don't see why that would effect it's ability to connect. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Solution
Try the hub on a different machine (without the Seagate software).
Try using the hub without any other USB devices connected. Even powered hubs have a limit on the power they can supply.
Was the cable you were using with the hub and with the direct connect port the same. If not, try switching the cables.

Benefit13

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

It is a powered hub and I do have it connected. The external drive was working for a time before the update. It's only after that it won't register through the hub to my computer.

PassMark

Distinguished
Try the hub on a different machine (without the Seagate software).
Try using the hub without any other USB devices connected. Even powered hubs have a limit on the power they can supply.
Was the cable you were using with the hub and with the direct connect port the same. If not, try switching the cables.

Solution

Benefit13

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Benefit13

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Tried without any other devices attached and the cable was the same in both arrangements. I haven't yet had a chance to set up on one of the other computers. I'm not holding my breath but I may have to suck it up and contact Seagate. I appreciate your responses. I'll give a shout out if either produces a result. If not I'll reroute my connections leaving the external directly attached (not as convenient) or look at a different hub.

Benefit13

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

I'm beginning to suspect it is a case of an underpowered hub. Checking the log I see it may have been glitchy for a bit now. The drive lights up pretty enough, but It doesn't function. I rerouted the usb cables leaving the drive directly connected. And so it goes. I thank you for the posts.