[SOLVED] External hard drive/TV

May 5, 2021
Hi, I have 2 external Hard drives which me and my family all use regularly for movies and photos etc. they have both just stopped working on my TV, yet still work on my laptop, not really sure why this has happened. I don't think its a hard drive issue and I've looked at device manager and other bits - in my novice kind of way. Do USB ports on a TV just stop working? any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

Solution
Its possible that a USB port can become defective.
If the 2 externals work on your laptop and every other device but except for the TV, then you can conclude that the USB port on the TV is indeed, defective
Changing/repairing the USB port on the TV may be another different matter

Try looking at the port for bent pins or dirt/dust. Turn off the TV first and try to clean the port with a toothpick (be careful not to scratch the pins with it). Its the same trick used to clean ports of mobile phones if they don't charge.
Its possible that a USB port can become defective.
If the 2 externals work on your laptop and every other device but except for the TV, then you can conclude that the USB port on the TV is indeed, defective
Changing/repairing the USB port on the TV may be another different matter

Try looking at the port for bent pins or dirt/dust. Turn off the TV first and try to clean the port with a toothpick (be careful not to scratch the pins with it). Its the same trick used to clean ports of mobile phones if they don't charge.

Solution
May 5, 2021
I assume that the drives are powered from the ports. and i think the TV sees a pen drive (thats the USB/hard drive/Pen drive right?) the hard drives will load, go through the selection screen (music/video/photos/registration [Sony Bravia TV]) and then onto the large thumbnail screen to choose a film - then the film wont play, at other times it doesn't even get this far and the screen will just say "no files will be played from this drive" both my hard drives are working fine with my laptop.
Thanks very much

TRENDING THREADS