External hard drive usage stuck at 100% with 0 write and read speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

EAGLEEYES911

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Hi my hard drive recently has been at 100% usage the second it is plugged in it pins its self to 100
% usage with 0 read and write speeds with occasional bursts of 2 MB of read with a 2000 ms delay. while it is plugged in it locks the windows explorer and any programs that are on the drive making it impossible to use or move any of the data on the drive . it is also isolated to this drive. any help would be appreciated

the drive is a WD passport about 3 years old and the recovery software fails to launch when the drive is plugged in

Solution
Hello, @EAGLEEYES911!

I'm sorry to hear about your WD My Passport external drive issues, but I'd recommend you try using a different USB cable to connect the HDD with and also check how it will get recognized on another computer. If it influences the system's performance in this way again, I'm afraid you might be dealing with a failed drive. :( Tampering with data retrieving utilities is very dangerous for the files on the drive, so I'd suggest you consider contacting a professional data recovery company instead. They are your best bet on getting your files back. You shouldn't tamper with the external enclosure of the HDD in any way either, due to the fact that the WD My Passport models incorporate a hardware-based...
Hello, @EAGLEEYES911!

I'm sorry to hear about your WD My Passport external drive issues, but I'd recommend you try using a different USB cable to connect the HDD with and also check how it will get recognized on another computer. If it influences the system's performance in this way again, I'm afraid you might be dealing with a failed drive. :( Tampering with data retrieving utilities is very dangerous for the files on the drive, so I'd suggest you consider contacting a professional data recovery company instead. They are your best bet on getting your files back. You shouldn't tamper with the external enclosure of the HDD in any way either, due to the fact that the WD My Passport models incorporate a hardware-based encryption. This makes it impossible to recover any files without the original enclosure.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting, though.
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Dec 7, 2020
Egle Eye, can you please confirm what solved your problem?
Cable replacement or did you had to get your HD recovered?
I have the same problem with my WD Passport HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.