External Hard Drive won't format

ClubSpade12

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I have a 750gb external usb hard drive and when I plug it in, it says it needs to be format. windows is unable to complete the format. can't run chkdsk, it's RAW format. Can't create an NTFS partition because I can't format it. Help me please

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
So try this (it will delete all partitions and data so be sure you get the correct disk).

Start a administrative cmd.

From there run "diskpart".

From diskpart do the following:
"list disk" ( this will identify the drives on your system, disk 0 is generally your windows boot drive so it won't be disk 0, most likely disk 1 or disk 2)

Once you are sure you have the correct disk #, type the following:
"select disk #"

Now one last time if you are sure you have the correct disk #, type:
"clean"

You can now exit diskpart by typing "exit"

This should clean up the drive completely. At this point I'd "safely eject" the drive from windows. Unplug and plug it back in.
Now try to format your drive like your normally would.

Let me know how this goes.

WARNING: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH DISKPART!!!

MERGED QUESTION
Question from ClubSpade12 : "External Hard Drive Can Not Be Formatted"

You can always follow the advice on your last post - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3316909/external-hard-drive-format.html

ClubSpade12

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016

Sorry, these both weren't showing up in my tracked threads so I thought they weren't posted. Thank you.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

GPT is better for your use but it would not cause an issue formatting.

It's possible either the drive itself is bad or the enclosure that converts USB to Sata is bad.

If possible try this thing on another PC.

If you still get the same results it might be worth a shot to take the drive out of the enclosure to see if you can at least salvage the drive. It might work directly connected over sata.