External hd: access denied, just explore

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickstar69

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

I am having exact same problem. However, I am not using a Maxtor.

Herbie_21

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

I know it has been 3 years ago that his thread was published. Nevertheless, I have encountered the same problem just now.
I recently purchased a brand new Western Digital 1 TB ext.drive. I'm tying to open it on a completely restored Dell PC with Windows XP Pro. Unfortunately, the drive arrived in the mail without any instructions or guidelines how to set it up. There were only pictures shown how to connect it with the power supply and the USB cable. I could not find anything helpful on their website, either. They even charge for service support !
When I connected it accordingly, the light showed on the unit and I could notice that was running. It also showed up on MyComputer as a disk on drive E. When I right-clicked on the file, it showed up as Address E:\ with the following entries :
(folder) autorun clicking on this folder opened a picture of " WD"
(folder) System Volume Information clicking on this folder "Access denied"
(icon) autorun.inf clicking on this folder - nothing happened

I also tried on another PC with Win XP and so far was only able to check disc options for file system errors and bad sections. No results were shown, apparently nothing was found. And, so far I did not get "Access" denied, but still don't know how to open a file on that disk which is shown as "Used Space" for 1.25 GB ??? Free Space shows 930 GB.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with computer science and I sure could use some help how to make that new hard disk work for storage.

Thanks, Herb