External HD enclosure that uses SATA not USB or Firewire?

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Does anyone know of an external HD case that you could run a SATA cable directly from the motherboard into instead of USB or Firewire?

stagepuppy

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Coolmax CD-311 SATA/USB2.0/1394a external case...

It can accept either IDE or SATA 3.5" drives, has USB2.0/1394a/SATA output. This is the conventional SATA "L" connector used on most motherboard internal connections, not the eSATA that is appearing on more and more motherboard backpanels.

link

It does not, however, allow an IDE drive to be seen on the SATA output, though the printing on the box suggests it might. Only a SATA drive will be seen through the SATA output, plus the the other two outputs, whereas IDE can only be seen on the USB2.0/1394a outputs. It is passively cooled and a quick check of the internal temp of the drive after a long video write session revealed that the drive was not too hot, but still not as cool as most fan-cooled cases would be. HTH...

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Awesome, this is just what I was looking for :)

Thanks a lot man!

edit: Oh hey, I was just about to buy two of these off Newegg and I read a user comment that said you can't use two of them with one machine, because they collide on the firewire bus. Do you know if this applies to the SATA connection as well? (It shouldn't), I have two free SATA connections and would just be using one of them off each, do you think there would be any problem doing that?