External HD keeps reconnecting.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I picked up a seagate freeagent goflex 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive, it has been working great other then this problem that I am having. every little bit say every 20 minutes when the drive is inactive it will turn off and I hear the windows sound that windows makes when hardware is unplugged then it makes the sound that it has just been plugged back in. It has been driving me crazy, some of the time the light on the external drive doesn't turn off but other times it will turn off for 30 seconds or so then turn back on.

Also it seems like the drive is spinning 24/7 no matter what the hard drive is spinning even when the computer is off. The only way I can get it to stop spinning is by unplugging the drive which I haven't been doing because I have important data on the drive and don't want to risk losing any of it.

I have heard of other people having this issue but to a different degree.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I do have usb 3.0 turned on in my bios and I have tried plugging it into different usb slots usb 3.0 and 2.0.

Thanks!

CraigHarrison

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
not sure ..my Seagate 1TB desk does the same things ..and yeah as you said to a diff degree ..the drive reconnects almost randomly ..but it doesn't spin perpetually ..I thought It might be a driver or USB controler problem ..but it behaves the same with other pcs as well ..maybe its an inherent problem with the Seagate drive manager ??

CraigHarrison

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
not sure ..my Seagate 1TB desk does the same things ..and yeah as you said to a diff degree ..the drive reconnects almost randomly ..but it doesn't spin perpetually ..I thought It might be a driver or USB controler problem ..but it behaves the same with other pcs as well ..maybe its an inherent problem with the Seagate drive manager ??

CraigHarrison

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You can go back and erase or edit messages.

I have had other external hard drives and they would at least turn off when my computer turns off. I don't like having to unplug the drive when everything is off.

Im wondering if this is how it's supposed to be. There are some hard drives that run 24/7 for years and run fine.