Question External HD not working with Dell XPS15 Thunderbolt

Feb 18, 2019
I have a Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4.0 TB external hard drive that consists of two 2 TB drives in a raid 0 configuration to achieve the speed of this drive. In the past USB 3.0 Gen 1 has not supplied enough power for the drive, but I was able to power it fine with the USB C Gen 2 port on my Lenovo Yoga 910. I upgraded to a Dell XPS 15 (9570) and neither of the supplied USB ports nor the Thunderbolt 3 port have enough power to power this drive. When I connect the drive it runs very slow and the status light brightens and dims. I thought Thunderbolt 3 had enough power for a drive like this. I am using the same cable I used with the Lenovo (a USB C cable) and not a Thunderbolt cable if that makes any difference.

Is this right, that the XPS 15 ports do not supply enough power for this drive? If not then I guess I need to get a hub.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
So I spent 1 hour with a Dell tech to no end, the issue was not resolved. What I managed to find out with some research is that the Dell XPS 15 9570 Thunderbolt 3 port produces only 15 watts of power, so it seems to me that is the issue, the low power Dell Thunderbolt. Why use Thunderbolt if you are not going to power it appropriately?

Of course, Dell sells some nice expensive hubs.