tsangers

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I had a external hd and was working fine till I brought a new maxtor external hd. When I plugged it and it says usb not recongizing device. I rebooted and now both my hd doesnt work. I've tried different ports, removed drivers for usb and still doesnt work. It works for everything else fine apart from my external hd's. I've tried only plugging 1 in and still same error. I have trie dthe 2 hd on a different pc and it works fine.
The pc spec I'm having prblems is p4 2.4b gig 1gig ram win xp sp2. I have done all updates. Anyone know how to fix this error? have been searching everywhere for a solution :(

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I've run across this problem before. For me it turned out the HD was beginning to fail. The MBR (master boot record, I think??) was beginning to corrupt. Hopefully this is not the case..

But just in case, back up the essential files and run Check disk to make sure there are not any bad sectors, using of course a computer that will read the drive.

I never did find out why it would read in one computer and not my other... I even plugged it in using the IDE cable and it still would not be seen on the one computer but would with my other.

Back up!!! Data recovery is very time consuming and doesn't always work

Hope this helps, good luck