Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
i5 4670k
GTX 970
2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3
Asus Xonar DXG
WD Blue 640GB
WD Green 1TB

Today I installed Win 10 LTSC x64.

I connected two of my external HDDs and they are both completely accessible but I can't seem to safely remove them. What I tried:

1.) First off, I thought to install the driver from my motherboard manufacturer, but unfortunately the latest USB3.0 driver available is for Windows 7.
2.) Going to Policies tab - didn't help since there is no option for Quick removal/better performance. Just indexing option.
3.) RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll - opens a window for safely removal but no devices are shown.
4.) When I go to settings/devices, my external HDD is not listed at all.
5.) Running Microsoft Windows USB Troubleshooter - detected the issue with not being able to remove the HDD but couldn't solve it.

NOTE: When I connect USB flash there is still no safely remove option in tray but there is "eject" option when I right-click on the drive in "My computer".
NOTE2: I have an old USB hub that requires additional power adapter (which I lost). I tried connecting the external HDDs through it - they were recognized, not accessible, but safely remove option was in tray.

I would be really, really grateful if someone could help me figure this out and fix it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS