Question External HDD causing several problems

MrGraxyPlays

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
Hi, i have an external HDD, that everytime that is plugged into the PC it crashes, let me explain.
The PC works fast and smooth, but, when i plug the HDD the computer starts becoming useless, can't open any exe, or folder, in the Task Manager i see that the process is active, but it can't start, and everytime i unplug it, the PC returns faster, and all the exe starts to open, now, when i tried to transfer files from this useless crap it was saying "Impossible reading this file from the origin disc" now i can't even access it, i have VERY IMPORTANT files on it, i'm serious right now, i can't just reset and try to use it again, i need to get my files back, i need help, i'm desperate...

MrGraxyPlays

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
most issues i've had with external disks is the housing failing, bad ports etc.
if it is encased in an external housing, remove the disk from the housing and plug it directly into the motherboard.
Still not working, now i just think that there is some viruses on the HDD, it opens up some apps, but not Smart Defrag, weird.
Other than this, now it doesn't even recognize it, but is working because the led is on.

Very important files need more than one place to keep them, drives fail, external drives fail more often since they are moved and have other parts around them to fail. There is free online storage from many places, or cheap storage, or second drive for backup and the main drive for storage.

When you say still not working, in the 10 minutes of the post you took out the drive from the case and tested it without the USB enclosure? LED light on does not mean it's working, it just means the LED bulb has power. You can also try it on another system.

Last edited:

MrGraxyPlays

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
Very important files need more than one place to keep them, drives fail, external drives fail more often since they are moved and have other parts around them to fail. There is free online storage from many places, or cheap storage, or second drive for backup and the main drive for storage.

When you say still not working, in the 10 minutes of the post you took out the drive from the case and tested it without the USB enclosure? LED light on does not mean it's working, it just means the LED bulb has power. You can also try it on another system.
Used this for 2 year never had problems, just now that i have graduation it brokes, funny right?
Anyway, tried on another system (windows 7 32bit) not working, same problem, plugged in, not recognized, creating lag, i don't know what to do anymore, open the case of the HDD? I can't think anything else

Edit: it's not just the blub i hear sounds coming from the inside of it when i plug it, it just doesn't work for whatever reason

Last edited:

MrGraxyPlays

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
Used this for 2 year never had problems, just now that i have graduation it brokes, funny right?
Anyway, tried on another system (windows 7 32bit) not working, same problem, plugged in, not recognized, creating lag, i don't know what to do anymore, open the case of the HDD? I can't think anything else

I think i made some progress, on the other pc now it says that it needs to be resetted, how can i avoid it??