[SOLVED] External HDD connectivity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deodata

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Can you connect an external HDD HDMI connection straight to your graphics card, or do you need to convert a USB connection to an HDMI female?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Can you connect an external HDD HDMI connection straight to your graphics card, or do you need to convert a USB connection to an HDMI female?
Are you trolling? You don’t connect storage devices to a graphics card. If you want to connect an external HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to your computer, you plug the USB cable into the spare USB port of the computer. HDMI takes video from the graphics card to the monitor, any peripherals or storage devices go to the motherboard or other USB ports.

Deodata

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Are you trolling? You don’t connect storage devices to a graphics card. If you want to connect an external HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to your computer, you plug the USB cable into the spare USB port of the computer. HDMI takes video from the graphics card to the monitor, any peripherals or storage devices go to the motherboard or other USB ports.
No I wasn't trolling, I was asking a question, if I was smart enough I wouldn't have to come on here. Firstly, I asked because I already have a 16TB ext HDD connect to my pc by an HDMI connection. Secondly if I'm transferring video to it, is it best to connect it to a 3.0 USB or use an adapter to turn the USB into an HDMI connection. Sorry if it sounds stupid

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
No I wasn't trolling, I was asking a question, if I was smart enough I wouldn't have to come on here. Firstly, I asked because I already have a 16TB ext HDD connect to my pc by an HDMI connection. Secondly if I'm transferring video to it, is it best to connect it to a 3.0 USB or use an adapter to turn the USB into an HDMI connection. Sorry if it sounds stupid
Please send a photo of the connector for the 16TB HDD that you think is HDMI. You might be confusing a connector that looks pretty similar. If it’s a desktop PC, it’s better to connect it directly to the motherboard. However, since it’s an external drive, it probably only has the interface that you are calling HDMI.

Please send a photo and we’ll work from there…

Status
Not open for further replies.