Question External HDD connects but there are no partitions

May 9, 2023
Hey everyone,

I have difficulties with a 2tb 2.5 Seagate external hard drive.

The symptoms are:
- It spins up normally when I connect it to my laptop or to another laptop, no unusual sounds.
- The activity light is not working on the device.
- It connects to Windows. I can hear the notification but there are no partitions.
- The raw drive is visible in disk management but it gives the prompt “initialise the disk to MBR or GPT” in disk management.
When I do that then I get the „cyclic redundancy check” error message.
- Diskpart also finds the disk but can’t find the missing partitions.
- The HDD doesn’t stop spinning when I give the safe removal command in Windows.
- Data recovery programs cannot find a single file on the drive.
- Changing the USB cable or updating drivers don’t make any difference.
- In the Events there is a warning "Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".
- In the Event Viewer:
Event ID 154: “The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\0000008f) failed due to a hardware error.”
Event ID 7: “The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.”

Have you ever encountered with similar issues?
(Unfortunately, clearing the device is not an option.)
Thank you for reading to the end.

Hey everyone,

I have difficulties with a 2tb 2.5 Seagate external hard drive.

The symptoms are:
- It spins up normally when I connect it to my laptop or to another laptop, no unusual sounds.
- The activity light is not working on the device.
- It connects to Windows. I can hear the notification but there are no partitions.
- The raw drive is visible in disk management but it gives the prompt “initialise the disk to MBR or GPT” in disk management.
When I do that then I get the „cyclic redundancy check” error message.
- Diskpart also finds the disk but can’t find the missing partitions.
- The HDD doesn’t stop spinning when I give the safe removal command in Windows.
- Data recovery programs cannot find a single file on the drive.
- Changing the USB cable or updating drivers don’t make any difference.
- In the Events there is a warning "Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".
- In the Event Viewer:
Event ID 154: “The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\0000008f) failed due to a hardware error.”
Event ID 7: “The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.”

Have you ever encountered with similar issues?
(Unfortunately, clearing the device is not an option.)
Thank you for reading to the end.
Perhaps trying it on another computer, one with higher wattage usb ports? Exploring the availability of data recovery companies in your area?

May 9, 2023
Perhaps trying it on another computer, one with higher wattage usb ports? Exploring the availability of data recovery companies in your area?
Thanks for the reply. I try to troubleshoot it with USB 3.0. So I don't think W is the problem.
I'd like to find out what's wrong with the drive.

Reactions: dwd999