External HDD Data Loss, CHKDSK Help

pigubaoza

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hi,

I recently had to force restart my mac while my external HDD is still connected, and as a result the HDD was unable to mount, after plugging in and out multiple times and trying to run repair in both Windows and Mac, I was able to get it to mount. However, a large amount of files have disappeared. The "used space" on the drive is still roughly the same amount, but the files do not show up. therefore, I think it has something to do with a problematic file table.

I searched online and tried to run chkdsk e: /r
However, it has been stuck at this for about 10 hours now
C:\Users\Keith>chkdsk e: /r
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 55FD-14EA
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is Keith 3TB.
Is it normal for it to be stuck there for that long? What can be done?

Thank you!

Solution
Hi there pigubaoza,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Sometimes, chkdsk could result in data loss, especially in case the drive is failing.
My suggestion would be to back up all the data that is still accessible. After that, you can run some data recovery tools and hope that any of those would recover the missing files.

After that, you can test the drive with a tool that can provide a SMART report. Look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there pigubaoza,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Sometimes, chkdsk could result in data loss, especially in case the drive is failing.
My suggestion would be to back up all the data that is still accessible. After that, you can run some data recovery tools and hope that any of those would recover the missing files.

After that, you can test the drive with a tool that can provide a SMART report. Look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

pigubaoza

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Thank you, Chkdsk took about 24hours to complete, showing nothing on the screen majority of the time. this worried me. I ran a disk recovery tool and got back some files, but they do not come with the directory. Luckily I have a backup of those files somewhere. I will be reformatting and using NTFS from now on as it is apparently more robust to data loss