[SOLVED] External HDD Enclosure without the power adapter not possible?

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
Um, so I have watched some videos on how to use the internal HDD as a external HDD by buying enclosures but but..

For 2.5 inch HDD, we get the enclosure and a USB 3.0 male to male connector. But for a 3.5 inch HDD, we get a power adapter in addition to the single male usb 3.0 connector
Like for 2.5 we got these types :
For 3.5 we got these types :
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DS12/dp/B0758RP5V8

Now all the 3.5 inch HDD enclosures got these power adapters, whatever I searched that is, so my question is WHY we don't have a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure with ONLY the MALE to MALE USB 3.0 cable? Why we need a power adapter? And if we can only use the 3.5inch HDD without the power adapter, then how its possible?
Cuz just using the male to male is quite neat and clean

Solution
WHY we don't have a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure with ONLY the MALE to MALE USB 3.0 cable?
USB-A to USB-A is an unsupported configuration for USB devices. I believe you can't certify your device as USB compliant if you do this.

Why we need a power adapter? And if we can only use the 3.5inch HDD without the power adapter, then how its possible?
3.5" HDDs require around 10-15W to operate, which you can't get on a USB 3.0 port as it caps out at 5W. You could get 15W from a USB-C PD compliant port, but that's about it.
Um, so I have watched some videos on how to use the internal HDD as a external HDD by buying enclosures but but..

For 2.5 inch HDD, we get the enclosure and a USB 3.0 male to male connector. But for a 3.5 inch HDD, we get a power adapter in addition to the single male usb 3.0 connector
Like for 2.5 we got these types :
For 3.5 we got these types :
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DS12/dp/B0758RP5V8

Now all the 3.5 inch HDD enclosures got these power adapters, whatever I searched that is, so my question is WHY we don't have a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure with ONLY the MALE to MALE USB 3.0 cable? Why we need a power adapter? And if we can only use the 3.5inch HDD without the power adapter, then how its possible?
Cuz just using the male to male is quite neat and clean
A 3.5 hdd needs more power than the usb port can supply.
So you need a power adapter to supply the extra power.

A 2.5 hdd uses less power so the usb port supplies enough and no need for a power adapter.

so my question is WHY we don't have a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure with ONLY the MALE to MALE USB 3.0 cable?

Like this?

61Zu-mkXeoL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Why we need a power adapter?

Because not all host devices can provide 12V power that the 3.5" HDD require.

And if we can only use the 3.5inch HDD without the power adapter, then how its possible?

You need a power booster to get 12V from 5V.

WHY we don't have a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure with ONLY the MALE to MALE USB 3.0 cable?
USB-A to USB-A is an unsupported configuration for USB devices. I believe you can't certify your device as USB compliant if you do this.

Why we need a power adapter? And if we can only use the 3.5inch HDD without the power adapter, then how its possible?
3.5" HDDs require around 10-15W to operate, which you can't get on a USB 3.0 port as it caps out at 5W. You could get 15W from a USB-C PD compliant port, but that's about it.

Solution