[SOLVED] External HDD/Explorer showing results that are not there

leon023

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
Hello,

I tried googling 'hard drive showing results that are not there' and 'hard drive showing wrong results' but nothing so far. Unbelievable… tried Yandex also. Absolutely unreal that there is not a single thread on the entire internet on this or something similar to this…

Anyway, forgive my rant... as the title of the thread states, I'm puzzled as to why my external hard drive/Explorer is showing results, that are not there

Procedure + questions:
1. I'm searching for '*.gif OR *.webm OR *.mp4' inside of a folder on my hard drive, I select 'Current folder'.

2. Some results come up, I try to open one of them. 'Filet not found' says PotPlayer. Fantastic!

3. I then use Everything by voidtools and search the title of the file inside of it. It comes up, being on my laptop's hard drive, not the external HDD… so yeah, why does Explorer (Explorer's search) show files that are not on it?
3.1 Is there something wrong with my HDD? CrystalDiskInfo says it's fine and Everything by voidtools shows things correctly as well, is it Explorer?
3.2 If this is Explorer and not my HDD, is there any way to perhaps fix this sheer crudeness?

My external HDD:
WD My Book 1230 4TB

Last edited:
There may be something with the file system on the drive, so I suggest you run a disk check on it. See if that fix the isse.

Btw - the reason you don't find similar on the web isn't that nobody have had a similar issue, but rather nobody have made a forum post with the exact title "External HDD/Explorer showing results that are not there".

Reactions: leon023

leon023

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
There may be something with the file system on the drive, so I suggest you run a disk check on it. See if that fix the isse.

Btw - the reason you don't find similar on the web isn't that nobody have had a similar issue, but rather nobody have made a forum post with the exact title "External HDD/Explorer showing results that are not there".

Thanks for the reply! I'll try running SFC and see if that fixes my current search result...

Agreed. Did try using different search terms, and every time I get a whole front page of generic results on pretty much a single topic like 'hard drive not showing files...', etc... wish you could search with 'match whole word', but yeah... sorry for the rant man 😔

Last edited:

leon023

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019

Using this unique opportunity... may I perhaps ask whether you assess that it's ok to use one's PC/external HDD, while SFC is running on the said HDD? Or is it best to not do so?

leon023

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
Also forgot to mention - BACKUP the most important personal files !!!

If it turns out you experiences this issues because of an upcoming failure of the HDD, then overnight operation might push the drive over the edge so it doesn't work at all.

Yeah, that would be imperative... remember reading somewhere that SFC can mess up one's HDD sometimes