External HDD freezes up

Jonathan_541

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Model : Seagate expansion 1 TB 5400 RPM USB 3.0 powered external HDD
The problem
The drive ceases to respond when under heavy load, stops any file transfer and taskmanager shows 100% activity.My eventlog gets filled with "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued." and "The IO operation at logical block address 0x2b0fe068 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\0000003f) was retried."

To make it clear, I've got no raids running on my system. I've got an SSD boot drive and an internal HDD while the one with issues is external.For some reason the HDD is detected as 2 parts "SAS-SCSI-FC" and "USB--1394" in seatools.Windows diskmanager shows just 1 drive in comparison though.

I've done any kind of error scanning (even the long chdksk /F /X /R) to no avail. The drive is clean error-wise but it keeps locking up under load and the only solution is to hard reset the PC or unplug (without being able to safely remove it). I've done seatools tests also and passed all of them. I'm thinking its a driver or controller issue at this point but I have no idea how to fix it.

On a side note, I've recently upgraded to ryzen along with the motherboard and DID NOT have this issue with my previous system.However I didn't have USB 3.0 there, only 2.0. All my chipset drivers are up-to-date (17.30 AM4) and clean installed.

Extra info:
There are no issues playing music, watching videos etc. from the drive. It only stops responding when I copy large files over to or from other drives or if I access the drive with multiple programs.

Thanks for your time and I'd appreciate any posts even if you don't know much on the matter I'm ready to try anything at this point.

PC specs if of any value:
Windows 10 x64 professional, AMD ryzen r5 1600, MSI mortar b350m, 4x4 Gb crucial ballistix elite 2667 mhz
Other drives include : Kingston hyperx fury 256 GB ssd, samsung HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM internal HDD

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I presume you are plugging this into a PSB3 port on the computer, and NOT a USB2. But what about the cable you use? Is it the older USB2 type with only four contacts inside the connectors? Or is the one that plugs into your computer's port the newer USB3 with four contacts across the front, and an additional five contacts behind them? This drive unit must get all its power from the USB3 port, and that means it MUST be used with a USB3 port AND a USB3 cable.

Jonathan_541

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I'm using the USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive and it's plugged into a USB 3.1 port.Weird part is, it worked without issues on my previous build on a USB 2.0 port never got issues.

I've changed some settings in the BIOS regarding USB e.g. USB legacy support. I haven't gotten any freezes yet I'll see how it goes

Jonathan_541

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
HDD no longer freezes after the changes I made in UEFI bios of my mobo (found in OP) [tested by defragging, streaming movie and moving files at the same time]
I disabled some options next to legacy support but I think this was the solution because I know my HDD has a usb 2.0 compatible mode (as well as 3.1 being backwards compatible) so both ends had problems identifying what inputs they had causing driver/hdd to freeze. I have no idea what legacy support does exactly but my usb 2.0 mouse and keyboard are still working so /shrug