External HDD has corrupt MBR how do I fix it

kiksteyn

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I have a 1 TB HDD which I am running from an external dock. it doesn't show up in windows explorer, so I checked it with third party software (a partition manager) and it shows up as unallocated space, but it won't let me make any changes to it. No formatting or anything. The program says that the MBR needs to be fixed. how can I do that. There isn't any data on the HDD that isn't backed up so it's ok if I need to format it.

Solution

Next chance is to download the analyses tool from the hdd manufacturer site. A bad or missing mbr should not prevent the disk from showing in disk management. Can you eliminate the dock by connecting the disk to the mobo?

Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair/ Great little program.

Mark

Next chance is to download the analyses tool from the hdd manufacturer site. A bad or missing mbr should not prevent the disk from showing in disk management. Can you eliminate the dock by connecting the disk to the mobo?

Solution

kiksteyn

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

tried 2 different docks both work with other HDDs. Cant connect to mobo, don't have a desktop and it's a 3.5" HDD. already tried the analysis tool from seagate, it doesn't read the disk.

kiksteyn:

Boot repair is an iso and will boot directly from a usb stick. It provides its own linux os on the usb. I always keep a usb with tools on it for problems like this. Download yumi (here) and then download the boot disk iso and load it through yumi. Reboot to usb, choose boot repair 64bit and away you go.

Mark