Question External HDD Initiation Failure

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello friends

I have a 4TB external WD HDD. The HDD contains some important memories of mine in multimedia format. All of a sudden, since the day before yesterday, the HDD is not showing up on My Computer. The power light of the HDD is glowing, and I can hear the whirring sound if I bring the HDD to my ears. If I go to the "Disk Management" console, I receive a notification pop-up asking me to initiate the Disc no. ##. As I try to initiate the disc using GPT (tried MBR too) I receive an error like "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error".

I did search the internet for the probable causes and plausible solutions, but the disk checking and bad sector repairing tools can not work unless the drive shows up on "my Computer". I tried another cable and different ports on two different systems, but nothing worked and I am getting the same error.

So, is there any solution? Is there any tool that can scan the drive for bad sectors that may be during the boot? Sorry, I have very little knowledge about these things hence, I may sound a bit naive.

I am using Windows 10 64bit OS.

Thank you.

Do you have any backup of whatever is on this external drive......?

Are you willing to spend hundreds of dollars to possibly recover the files? Possibly.

Various messages might show up if you can't read a drive, but a fatal error is not one of the better examples.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Do you have any backup of whatever is on this external drive......?

Are you willing to spend hundreds of dollars to possibly recover the files? Possibly.

Various messages might show up if you can't read a drive, but a fatal error is not one of the better examples.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not willing to go for the data recovery, not only because it is super expensive, but moreover, the outcome may not be to my liking.
I am pinning my hope that there may be some kind of tool which can do a boot-time scan and recover bad sectors. As the development of the bad sectors can also be a possible reason.