[SOLVED] External HDD is not recognized

Mar 3, 2019
So i reinstalled my Asus ROG - GL502VY and before the reinstall I had no problem with the HDD. But now, it is sometimes recognized by win10 but most of the time is not. However if it's connected through an unpowered usb2.0 hub, it has no problem, but this way it is slow( the ext.hdd is usb3.0).
Question is why? What can I do?
Donwloaded win updates, drivers. etc.
The laptop is not having any hard time recognizing anything else, also the HDD is recognized by any other machine.
HDD: WD My Passport 1TB
Thank you for your time reading and replying, have a nice day

Edit:
when it's connected to the laptop directly, the power led is ON, the hdd is spinning, but no recignition... won't appear in disk menager nor anywhere else
also resetted BIOS
latest BIOS, chipset and usb drivers
the laptop now does not recognize the hard drive at all
also, even the BEEP sound when you connect something via usb to your computer is nowhere to be heard

Solution
SOLUTION:
surprisingly, the cable was the problem... i still don't understand how was it possible that if i connected the ext.hdd to the computer directly it wouldn't even recognize it, but if i put a simple usb2.0 hub between them, it worked like a charm
thanks for all for your time

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried connecting the drive to a donor system to rule out that the drive is not failing? Often times the drive inside the enclosure can fail or the enclosures PCB, responsible for power and data transmission can go awry. FYI, WD's have been on my no-no list since they tend to fail in spite of being a popular drive.

Reactions: kdavid
Mar 3, 2019
It was a powerful point that it was cheap where i live :D
Also other computers can recognize it...
Another funny thing is that i downloaded a win10 version long ago, and when i reinstall my family's or my own pc-s, i always use the same iso file. My girlfriend has another GL ROG laptop, and it works perfectly with the hdd. Mine, and on other that i installed win10 on recently show the same problem, with only this usb device. All 3 laptops have the same win10 installed on them, also mine had it before and there was no trouble

Mar 3, 2019
SOLUTION:
surprisingly, the cable was the problem... i still don't understand how was it possible that if i connected the ext.hdd to the computer directly it wouldn't even recognize it, but if i put a simple usb2.0 hub between them, it worked like a charm
thanks for all for your time

Solution