Question External HDD is recognized, then it isnt anymore., unless I plug it in another USB

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Hey guys

I have a external HDD disk raidbox, which has 4 HDD bays that are all filled with 2TB HDD's. The box is connected via USB 3.0 to the back of my PC. And it has its own power.

When I plug in the USB...all 4 HDD's are recognized and I can work with it just fine. However...something, after a couple of hours.. .Explorer doesnt see them anymore. Unless I plug the USB into another port..and then they're back.
Same happens with booting..sometimes it recognises them off the bat when I start up..sometimes it doesnt and I have to switch usb ports

Im running Windows 10 64 Bit.

Can somebody tell me what's causing this problem? I just want them to be recognized all the time, without having to 'reconnect'

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please list the specs to your current system? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might also want to list the make and model of your RaidBox/NAS box. Are you on the latest firmware update for your external HDD array? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Of course, apologies. Here it is

CPU: Ryzen threadripper 2950X
Motherboard: X399 DESIGNARE EX
Ram: GSkills 64GB
SSD/HDD: 3x Samsung Evo 970 - 1TB / 3x WD HDD 2TB (raid)
GPU: GeForce GTX1080Ti
PSU: corsair HX1000
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6

• The Raidbox is a Fantec QB-35US3-6G.. Which doesnt seem to have drivers or firmware i can download from the manufacturers site
  • I am on the latest BIOS of the mobo

tony_parker

BANNED
Jan 15, 2019
Well, there could be various reasons for an external hard drive to become unresponsive or undetected. It can be a hardware issue or some technical issue in the software.

Below are the few possible reasons for any drive being unresponsive:

1. Lot of bad sectors
  2. Infected File (Virus or Malware)
  3. Driver issue
  4. Mechanical failure

You can try the below options to resolve the issue:

1. Run CHKDSK
  2. Use an Antivirus & Anti-Malware tool
  3. Re-install the drivers

Hope this will help.