External HDD is shown as unallocated drive after having installed win 10 on ssd

Hamid_5

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Dear my friend
I have almost a full HDD(750gb) replaced by ssd(250 GB). As I can't transfer all my hdd files to ssd so I prefer to use former as an external hard drive. So I replaced HDD by ssd and installed Win 10 home on it. But the HDD down not show in explorer although Disk Management section shows it as Unallocated. It is also it mentions that the error relates to MBR or GPT. So how can I fix it? I should remember that no migration has been done about Win 10 installed on HDD.
Regards

Solution

Hey there again, Hamid!

That's why I wanted you to try a simple SATA-to-USB cable with the drive. Since it's a laptop HDD 2.5", you won't need any additional power supply with it. As to why the HDD box is not recognizing the drive properly, it could be because it's reading the partitions wrong and encounters some sort of miscommunication with the HDD controller.

Another thing you could try is inserting the hard drive in another computer (PC) via SATA (internally). I believe this should give you access to your files, so that you'd be able to back them up on that PC and then put the HDD in the box and...
Welcome, Hamid_5!

Can you please share more details about your computer system and how you have connected your previously booting HDD externally?
I believe that if you try to access your data from a specific enclosure you won't be able to access your files because some external cases are configured with different LBAs which requires you to reformat the drive.
Instead, I'd suggest you plug the HDD internally via SATA and attempt to access your data. Once you have it backed up somewhere else (another external HDD or storage device), then you shouldn't worry about reformatting it.

If you have access to another computer, you could also check how the HDD would be recognized there.

Keep us posted with the details!
SuperSoph_WD :)

Hamid_5

Commendable
May 16, 2016

No.
I have Windows 10 Home on my lap HDD. Then I bought a SSD to replace HDD by it. After it I created an ISO file by Windows Media Tools. Then,
1-I replaced HDD by SSD.
2-i installed Windows 10 Home on SSD using that ISO.
3-i used a box hard for HDD to connect it through USB.
4- I have not applied any format or change on HDD. I just removed it from laptop then insert it on hard box(USB 2).
5- I thought that I wound use the installed Windows 10 on HDD through an external drive since no change has been done on meaningful hardwares like Motherboard but before having installed new Windows on SSD, Windows could not boot from hdd(no operating system found error in bios).
Now HDD doesn't show in File Explorer although Disk managment shows it as an allocated drive.
How can fix it so that I can use both Operating system on HDD and my files on it

Hamid_5

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Hi again

My system is Dell XPS L502X.
As I said in response to thejackal85, I connected HDD using a Box Hard(USB 2).
When i see HDD on Disk Management it shows Initialize Disk message as attached screen shot shows.
vbkzw3slj1s6.png

Hey there again, Hamid_5!

As I already mentioned, it looks like the HDD Box enclosure you use is configured differently and that's why it requires you to reformat the HDD in order to be able to use it. I'd recommend you attempt to connect the laptop drive using a SATA-to-USB cable instead and see if that will allow you to access your files without the need to reformat and re-initialize it.

Let us know how it goes.
SuperSoph_WD

Hamid_5

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Tnx my bro
But if this issue relates to HDD box, why does it work when i reinsert HDD on laptop and connect SSD through Box?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand hard drive box did you use? name might help solve why it behaves the way it does. Does it boot off the ssd if its in the enclosure?

Did you upgrade from win 7 on the hdd? I expect the SSD is formatted to GPT, but the hdd is formatted to MBR- this doesn't explain why hdd shows as unallocated space unless its plugged into pc. I think its a bios setting causing this

Hamid_5

Commendable
May 16, 2016

hard box brand is WIPRO.
No Windows cant boot through SSD in 1hard box.
Yes i upgraded from Win 10.
No. EaseUS shows both as MBR.
Where is Bios settings problem?

Hey there again, Hamid!

That's why I wanted you to try a simple SATA-to-USB cable with the drive. Since it's a laptop HDD 2.5", you won't need any additional power supply with it. As to why the HDD box is not recognizing the drive properly, it could be because it's reading the partitions wrong and encounters some sort of miscommunication with the HDD controller.

Another thing you could try is inserting the hard drive in another computer (PC) via SATA (internally). I believe this should give you access to your files, so that you'd be able to back them up on that PC and then put the HDD in the box and re-initialize it as a backup drive as you initially intended.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution