Question External HDD keeps getting malfunctioned

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi guys,

So i had this 1TB external HDD with me for quite a while and i haven't really used for months so i plugged it in and after sometime it keeps disconnecting with the message saying that the USB device is not recognized and that it malfunctioned.
What could be the possible solution.

lots of external drive housing have similar issues with Windows for some reason. i've tried probably 10 of them in the last decade and most of them ended up returning similar errors eventually.

usually has something to do with Windows flagging the drive and then having trouble reading it's own data. usually the drives continue to function as they should but a few times they have become unreadable and i've let Windows run it's scan\repair function and the errors went away, for a while.

i had been concerned a couple times that the SATA > USB conversion hardware had malfunctioned and removed the drives from their housing and connected them directly via sata3.
but the errors continued, which lead me to researching the problem where i found that it was just Windows playing dumb most of the time.

if the housing has actually malfunctioned; you can remove the drive and use it via direct SATA connection or get a drive dock and just plug it in there.
WavLink has some cheap USB 3* drive dock options available.

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
lots of external drive housing have similar issues with Windows for some reason. i've tried probably 10 of them in the last decade and most of them ended up returning similar errors eventually.

usually has something to do with Windows flagging the drive and then having trouble reading it's own data. usually the drives continue to function as they should but a few times they have become unreadable and i've let Windows run it's scan\repair function and the errors went away, for a while.

i had been concerned a couple times that the SATA > USB conversion hardware had malfunctioned and removed the drives from their housing and connected them directly via sata3.
but the errors continued, which lead me to researching the problem where i found that it was just Windows playing dumb most of the time.

if the housing has actually malfunctioned; you can remove the drive and use it via direct SATA connection or get a drive dock and just plug it in there.
WavLink has some cheap USB 3* drive dock options available.

Thank you for your time and response

Thing is that there is actually no consistency as well like at one point it would go on for hours without any error and at one time it would malfunction after few minutes.
I have tried to repair it but all in vain i will try plugging it in the usb 3.0 but i don't think its gonna work.