Question External HDD "not accessible" "parameter is incorrect"

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
My Seagate external HDD was working fine until today, when it gave that error message in Explorer... after which it no longer shows up in Explorer, or anywhere else (Disk Management, Device Manager, etc.). I researched this problem and one of the common suggestions was to run CHKDSK on the drive, but it tells me "cannot open volume for direct access" when I try to do that.

When I try to unplug and plug the USB connector back into the laptop, I hear the Windows sound indicating that something has been plugged in, the drive comes up in Explorer as it's trying to read it (but trying to click or right-click on it doesn't do anything, since it's trying to read the disk but isn't able to), and I see the HDD light comes on and hear it start whirring (like the normal sound), but then after some time, a few minutes, the "not accessible" message comes up and the icon in Explorer disappears.

I've tried plugging it into every USB port on the laptop, and it's the same thing. I tried plugging it into another computer, same thing as well.

Something odd happened just before the hard drive stopped working or stopped being able to be read. I tried to turn on the laptop (wake it up from sleep mode) but it wouldn't come on, it was stuck on the manufacturer logo screen. Hitting keys and tapping the touchpad and clicking the mouse didn't do anything, so eventually I held down the power button and it turned off again. When I turned it back on (a minute later), it did the same thing, except this time it would get to the manufacturer logo screen, stay there for a couple minutes, and then restart itself... and it would just keep cycling like that over and over. Even pressing the Function keys didn't seem to help, but when I inserted a USB drive to try to boot from it, while pressing the F-keys (all of them, one at a time, as I didn't remember which one brought up the boot menu) it finally did take me to the boot menu... I tried to boot the USB drive but it ended up just booting up normally (I may have messed up the boot screen settings), and it booted up the previous session that was put into sleep mode. And it's rebooted normally ever since, but now the HDD no longer works.

I think it's probably corrupted and there's nothing that I can do about it, but I thought I'd ask here to see if there were any suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please parse a link to the external HDD you're working with? If the HDD is inside an enclosure and you're outside of warranty period, you can try and access the enclosure to get to the 2.5" drive. You can then hook the drive up to a dock of sorts or a desktop's SATA data and power ports. Often times the PCB that acts as the intermediary for the USB port and the drive's SATA port can go sideways(dead).

Last edited:
Reactions: lishaohua

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Can you please parse a link to the external HDD you're working with? If the HDD is inside an enclosure and you're outside of warranty period, you can try and access the enclosure to get to the 2.5" drive. You can then hook the drive up to a doc of sorts or a desktop's SATA data and power ports. Often times the PCB that acts as the intermediary for the USB port and the drive's SATA port can go sideways(dead).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAPGEIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bought in 2016 so I'm guessing it's way past warranty

I did see that suggestion somewhere else as well, to take it apart and connect it directly to the computer, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do that. Also, I don't have a desktop currently.

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
It's essentially a 3.5" hard disk drive inside an enclosure.
yeah right, I think I can probably do it... I installed an internal SSD in the desktop I had previously, but I don't have a desktop at the moment

EDIT: now that I think of it, I may have performed this procedure previously, as I was wanting to transfer the contents of an older desktop drive to the new desktop I had gotten at the time, and connected the old HDD to the new desktop's SATA & PSU connections

Reactions: lishaohua

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Swap the usb cable....test.
I just tried it, using an older Seagate drive's USB cable. It still says the same thing, "parameter is incorrect".

EDIT: Interestingly, even though it's still giving the same error, there's an apparent improvement using this cable, as the drive now shows up and stays up in Explorer, Disk Management, and Device Manager. At least now I can try some of the other suggestions I've seen which involve using those tools to do things with the drive.

Last edited:

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Can you please parse a link to the external HDD you're working with? If the HDD is inside an enclosure and you're outside of warranty period, you can try and access the enclosure to get to the 2.5" drive. You can then hook the drive up to a dock of sorts or a desktop's SATA data and power ports. Often times the PCB that acts as the intermediary for the USB port and the drive's SATA port can go sideways(dead).
I was thinking that since I don't have a desktop, I might get a cheap one to use for this purpose, to try to copy the data to another drive, and then presumably if I wanted to continue to use the drive I'd have to leave it hooked up to the desktop and use the desktop as a server (since the drive apparently can't be used in its original format and purpose now).

But I just saw that you said it could be hooked up to a dock as well. I may look into how to do that.

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
interesting... now (after using a different USB cable) it's giving a different "not accessible" error, this time it's "the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error" and it shows up as "healthy" in Disk Management

Capture.jpg

lishaohua

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Okay I was able to do a search on how to take the Seagate external HDD apart (which was kind of fun actually) and I bought a Sabrent docking station and i connected it to the docking station after removing it from the enclosure, but after doing all that and connecting it to the laptop it's still showing as "not available", just with a different error message now:

3.jpg

I guess I'll just have to toss it (I'll try to format it first, but it doesn't appear to be allowing me to do that either)