Salternative

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
I am trying to get an external WD Green WD10EZRX HDD to show up on my Gateway M285-e Laptop running Windows 7 using a RUIZHI USB 3.0 to SATA III Adapter Cable. When I plug it in nothing shows up under My Computer, Disk Management, or Device Manager. I tried it on another laptop as well running Windows 10 with the same results. The usb plug and Gateway laptop work fine with a Kingston SSD and I tried using the Recoverit software with no luck either. Is there anything else I can try to get this HDD to show up?

Solution
Looks like the problem was the USB to SATA III adapter I was using. I ended up trying out the UNITEK USB 3.0 to Sata 6G Converter and the drive is working just fine.
I don't hear anything at all coming from it when I plug it in. This cable should be fine for using it with the HDD I have right?

That would be unfortunate. How long do they normally last?

A few years at least if they don't have any issues before that. You never know. An HDD could break inside 2 days at any time or last you for 10 years. I would not expect a Green series to last that long tho. They are not really high quality HDD.

Salternative

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
Looks like the problem was the USB to SATA III adapter I was using. I ended up trying out the UNITEK USB 3.0 to Sata 6G Converter and the drive is working just fine.

Solution