External HDD: only 1 partition out of the 2 works!!

G

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Lacie 500GB hdd. I have made 2 partitions on it, but the problem is that 1 of the partitions doesnt work anymore!
When I try to open it, windows says: "You need to format the disk in E: before you can use it."
But the second partition on the same hard drive works perfectly! I can open it and copy/paste files into it!

Help please, as I have very important data on it.
Is there a way to recover it?

Thank you for your help,

Thibault

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Could you please go to Disk Management (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management in lower left) and post a screen shot of the Disk Management dialog box).

That way we can see exactly what is going on.

Is your LaCie connected by a USB cable, and did you connected it to and use it on a Win-XP or other computer recently?
How big were/are the two partitions? Will be helpful to know if it ID's a file system (NTFS) or if it reports RAW data.

Dont Format it as that will delete all the data in the MBR partition.

G

Hi,

So here's the screenshot I took:
28ceidj.png
, and the Disk that doesn't work is partition E.

I do connect by LaCie with a USB cable, and tried to open it on other computers but still doesnt work. And yes, the Disk Management says it reports RAW data.

Yesterday I dowloaded "Get Back Data from NTFS", and I could retrieve the data from it, (but it is very slow), even though there are two errors like this:
14vfpj.png
Is there any way to fix the hdd without loosing anything?

Otherwise I will just get all the files on it manually.

Thank you!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Your Volume E is reporting RAW data, which means the File System for some reason became corrumpted. Tend to see this on external drives where they are used on Win-7 machines, then Win-XP.

There is no magic way to just replace the file system without reformatting it.

TenorShare has a Data Recovery Program, free 30 day trial, which specifically talks about and recovers RAW data. I'd use it.
Here is the URL:

http://www.****/product/

When you have recovered your files, then reformat Volume E with NTFS, and copy your files back over.