External HDD Only Works in USB 2.0 not 3.0

kratom420

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
so out of the blue my wd 1tb external just no longer gets recognized by windows 7 only in usb 3.0 port. the regular 2.0 ports work and i can access anything on it. i have an usb 3.0 pci1 adapter and the hard drive powers on in 3.0 just does not get recognized. can someone help this frustrated human.

tecmo34

Administrator
Why don't you try uninstall the PCIe adapter & drivers, remove device than reboot PC with it uninstalled. Shutdown and reinstall everything to see if it works than.

Some times they can get a corrupted driver and just need a fresh install / update.

An unlikely solution: since the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 connections is the extra (four?) wires, it's possible that the 3.0 part of your cable, external box, or PC was damaged. This would result in it being recognized as a 2.0 device plugged into the 3.0 port.

tecmo34

Administrator

You do bring up a good point....

I was looking at it as a USB 3.0 adapter issue running off of the PCIe slot, since it worked fine when ran off of the motherboard's USB 2.0 but doesn't work when plugged into the USB 3.0 adapter.

philliesphreak711

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I am having a similar problem with my Western Digital external 3.0 HDD (freshly formatted). The HDD in question works fine in the 2.0 slots, but not in the 3.0 (powers on, won't mount). I know it's not a port issue, as I have another Seagate 3.0 HDD that works perfectly in all slots.

In addition, if I reboot computer with the WD HDD plugged into the 3.0 port, it works fine for a few minutes then disconnects. What's up with that? I'm assuming a driver issue, but when I check the drivers, I am already "up to date". Wanted to see if anyone had additional thoughts/comments before I uninstall/re-install drivers from machine as suggested above, or if the above user was successful in finding a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff S.

gmeades

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2012
If your PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter has an NEC chipset, the problem may indeed be the driver. I had a similar problem with my WD 2 TB USB 3.0 HD not being recognized by my PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter. I came across an article explaining NEC was bought by another company, that the drivers for the NEC USB 3.0 adapters were faulty and the new company had no intention of updating the drivers at all.

I bought another PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter with a VLI chipset, and it installed perfectly, and recognized the WD external hard drive immediately, and has operated perfectly ever since.

If your USB 3.0 adapter uses an NEC chipset, that may be your problem right there. It was for me (I bought two of them actually). Get yourself a USB 3.0 adapter with a VLI chipset and install the updated driver 1.81 off the internet. That's my recommendation, as it certainly worked for me, and I already tried two different adapters that used the NEC chipset. The NEC drivers just don't work reliably on Windows 7.

Aug 14, 2012

Hi realise it's been a while since you made this post, but here's hoping you have an email alert.
I have had exactly the same problem you did and like yourself two adapters later I am ready stab myself in the eye.
I have searched for adapters with a VLI chipset (I'm in the UK) and I can only find them in the US.
Could you please advise which adpater you purchased and from where? I'm not opposed to purchasing from the US if need be, wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks a million billion in advance. Oh and yes I too am using Win 7.

Arunkumar_1

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

thanks.. it worked perfectly when i changed my data cable from Seagate to WD..

Roshen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I'm probably way too late to say this. But..
I went to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> USB Settings -> USB Selective Suspend Settings ->
Make sure it's "Disabled" while you work with the external HDD. Not permanently as it could end up uplugging some USB devices randomly.