External HDD recognized but not usable

slovak19

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Hello community, I've got a Seagate Backup Plus Desktop (8TB external drive), that's giving me some issues I don't have an answer to. When I plug it in to my pc, I can hear the drive spin up, my computer installed drivers for it, it shows up under my PC's device manager, but when I search for the files under My Computer, nothing shows up. I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with HDDs to diagnose the issue, let alone fix it. Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Outside of removing the drive and checking it outside the enclosure or with another enclosure, you are not going to get anywhere further.

slovak19

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

There's no break between the USB and the storage I can find. I wasn't able to take apart the casing without destroying it, so I can't be positive. The warranty is long gone, and I have not contacted seagate, however I have tried 3 tables across 4 different computers.

Outside of removing the drive and checking it outside the enclosure or with another enclosure, you are not going to get anywhere further.

Solution