[SOLVED] External HDD shuttering

User280705

Reputable
Oct 25, 2019
So due to the configuration of my laptop computer, external drives are my only option for storing large files. But for some reason, I would get random shutters while using them. Any action ranging from playing games to simply open the drive in Windows Explorer would results in the current application to freeze for 3 to 5 seconds and continues periodically while I use the drive.

My laptop is a MSI Bravo 15 and the external drive is a WD P10 2TB HDD but the same problem occurred on my old Seagate 500GB HDD as well.

I've tried changing to different USB ports, yet the problem persisted. A quick benchmark on CrystalDiskMark saw no problem in the drive, upload and download speed are as advertised, no overheating .

I'm thinking of changing the connector from USB 3.2 to USB type C but doubt it would work as the current connection speed is more than sufficient for the tasks I'm performing on the drive.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

Solution
It may not solve the issue, but one possible avenue is that the drives are being allowed to go to sleep or turn off. To prevent this:
  • Open Start Menu
  • In the Search bar, type in "Edit power plan"
  • Click on "Change advanced power settings"
  • In the pop-up window, select Hard disk -> Turn off hard disk after -> change "Setting" to 0
You may also want to see if changing USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting -> change "Setting" to Disabled helps
It may not solve the issue, but one possible avenue is that the drives are being allowed to go to sleep or turn off. To prevent this:
  • Open Start Menu
  • In the pop-up window, select Hard disk -> Turn off hard disk after -> change "Setting" to 0
You may also want to see if changing USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting -> change "Setting" to Disabled helps

Reactions: User280705
Solution

User280705

Reputable
Oct 25, 2019
  • Open Start Menu
Well that actually reduces the shuttering by quite a lot. It's still there, but barely noticeable. I'll settle with this for now. Thank you for your time.