Question External HDD spins up but not recognized after accidental USB cable detach

Jan 7, 2021
Hello, I hope someone on the forum can help me out.

I was transferring some videos over to my WD easy store 8 TB external HDD when the USB cable came loose on the side connected to the HDD (actually been an issue for a while now out of the blue). I'm unsure if it was still transferring at the time, as it's something I normally just do in the background, but it would either have just finished or been close to finishing. Since then the computer (Surface Pro 3 with Win10) will not recognize the drive. It doesn't show up under disk management or device manager. The USB port works as I connected a random flash drive and it was recognized just fine. The external drive powers on and when plugged into the USB port will spin up, but the computer will not recognize it and play the little ding sound effect to acknowledge that. I don't have another computer I can try plugging it into, nor are there any other USB ports on my Surface. I also tried a data recovery software to see if it would recognize the drive but no joy there either.

I would appreciate any advice or help anyone has to offer. Thanks.