Question External HDD stopped working properly

mickeal_alex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi everyone, been having a lot of bad luck lately and all of a sudden my old external Western Digital drive just stopped working all of a sudden, changed the cable thinking that might be the problem and the same issue. Been doing research on this and nothing seems to work, basically what happened is i was copying some files to it and the entire pc started to freeze, when i removed the hdd from the pc it worked normally and then it just stopped being recognized by windows. Tried using Disk Management and tried to initialize it, and convert it to MBR and it gives error I/O device not working properly, i removed the drive from the plastic case hoping that the usb board would be the problem, and tried using it as internal HDD, same issue, it make a normal booting sound, it vibrates like it's trying to work and to connect to the pc and it cant. Tried updating the software, used a different usb slot, tried easeUS software and Aomei partition software, wether i use it as an external USB HDD or as an internal HDD i can't get it to work correctly in windows. Anyone have any ideas what i should do, i'm completely lost.

mickeal_alex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Well i have partial backup on bluerays, thing is it's pretty expensive, more expensive that a brand new hdd, i was asking so maybe i can fix this problem, maybe i should replace the board since it's a I/O device problem?