External HDD suggestion

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
I am in need of an external HDD, USB 3 with(atleast) 3 yr warranty(shock proof).This is my narrowed down list:
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB
WD My Passport Ultra 1TB
WD Elements 1TB
Transcend StoreJet 25M3 2.5-inch 1TB

Which one should I go for ? I am thinking of StoreJet . Is it good ? Read write speeds of these ??

Solution
Some of the WD 2.5" external drives don't have SATA ports inside. The mainboard on the drive itself is designed with a USB connector. If it fails, you have no way to get your data off the drive, whereas with other externals you can pop open the case and plug it into a SATA port on your desktop. I forget if it's the Elements or Passport.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
I'd say either the Seagate or one of the WD. If there's an option for a HGST go for it. Those are the only brands that actually make hard drives, other brands only but he hard drive and put it into an enclosure. You'll get better quality and probably warranty services that may include data recovery in some cases if you buy a brand that makes their own hard drives. Toshiba makes them too, but it's a very low quality brand.

Some of the WD 2.5" external drives don't have SATA ports inside. The mainboard on the drive itself is designed with a USB connector. If it fails, you have no way to get your data off the drive, whereas with other externals you can pop open the case and plug it into a SATA port on your desktop. I forget if it's the Elements or Passport.

Solution

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

to be honest I'll never go with Seagate. Their performance decreases alot overtime(personal experience). will consider WD but it not that shock proof. BTW any real world speeds of WD passport or elements ?
update : Toshiba Canvio Connect II performs better than WD passport. but a year less warranty

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

Any suggestions ? (please no seagate)

Hi there Vishal_7,

You will not really notice any significant transfer speed difference among the external drives, given the fact they are all USB 3.0.
Also, HDDs are really vulnerable to shocks and hits. So, if somewhere it's written that the drive is shockproof, there's a high chance that it will fail, if you drop it for example.

So, what's left is warranty and price. Given the fact that all the drive's you are looking at have 3 years of limited warranty, then it is really up to you. All the other suggestions would be based on personal experience as well.

The important thing would be to keep the data you can afford to loose on at least two places. Even if the drive has long warranty, it could just fail, in many cases even without a warning.

Apart from all these, you can consider getting an internal drive + some third party enclosure as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

yes it will. btw wd hdd will in one or max 2. transcend one will take 16 (min). you can search it out. :)

TRENDING THREADS