External Hdd turned into raw

Oriontyruse

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi guys any help on thos would be greatly appreciated. So i have a 4 tb external wd. Lasted a good 3 years or so never had any problems till i accidentally knocked off my computer desk. So at first i would hear that plugged in noise when i'd connect but didnt see it only in network and devices. Did a lot of research and googling to find out i have to go into device manager and view hidden files. And found it in portable devices under k:/ so uninstalled it and unplugged it. Came back up as wd filemanagement something. Assuming its the correct one still takes a few mins for file explorer to see it only to get a error saying its not accessible. Further googling led me to the security tab thing but i dont see it on my pc which is windows 10. Chkdsk doesnt work saying it doesnt work with raw files. It does show up in disk management as raw as well. Tried several recovery programs but they dont seem to work. I do have the option to format it. But i really dont wanna loose 3years worth of movies and tv shows ive downloaded roughly around 3tbs worth. Many of them you cant download anymore. So my question is there any way to convert it to a safe format. I dont have another hdd big enough to recover that much data. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also one last thing i tried it in a crappy windows xp laptop and doesnt work. And i tried making it an internap hdd shows up. But file explorer cant open it. Waited around an hour just freezes the window when i left click ot or right click it.

Solution
The drive may be physically damaged by the fall.

Software exists to recover files off WORKING hard drives that have lost partition data. Easus data recovery and Recuva are the ones that come to mind. Easus Partition Wizard might be able to rebuild the partitioning data in recovery mode. (If you haven't heard of / used those)

Well sounds like physical damage to the drive. you can try to recover manually, but more you touch it, less chance you have. If you go seek pro help it will be £400+£600 per terabyte or more, and even then they won't guarantee anything. you need empty drive at least twice the size and recovery program.
if it fell while working then there is a chance nothing can be done already. (its reason why you need backups)

The drive may be physically damaged by the fall.

Software exists to recover files off WORKING hard drives that have lost partition data. Easus data recovery and Recuva are the ones that come to mind. Easus Partition Wizard might be able to rebuild the partitioning data in recovery mode. (If you haven't heard of / used those)

Solution