Question external HDD undun file movement, copying and creation's

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi

So my day started off with getting the 0x80070570 error. I could not move it but I could copy it. So I tried scanning with 2 different malware scanners, property's/tools Error checking, optimizer def-rag, CMD; chkdsk /f X :, sfc/scannow , DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth , and /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . Wen I did the /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth I think my pc crashed because it automatically shut down during or at end of /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . So I tried it a few times and I think I was just getting CMD to crash and freez @ 100%. So I never restarted after words.

My HDD was plugged in to pc1 and ween I was dun doing file clean up I shut down pc. I than later plugged it in to pc2 and noticed many folders were not there, files were back in there earlier position and I'm sheer some are missing. The one file that was giving me the error was moved back but pc sead it was missing and than it disappeared.

Also a few days ago ween it was plug in to my SBC(like raspberry pi) OMV(open media valt) It says the drive contains errors but windows could not find any.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I would backup what is needed and then wipe and reformat the drive.

Also, link us to a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo for this drive
TY for the software pointer. LOOK's bad.. But I would like a second opinion as I don't realy know what I"m looking at. PLZ let me know If and what HDD I should replace ? Drive G is the one I had the problems with.

Edit: odd thing is I have 2 other 250gb 12-20 year old hdd that have no damage. Why does my H drive have problems..Its pretty new ? At least I can now check to see if new hdd are actually new ;)

Last edited:

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Warranty the drive if you can. Basically you have 215 failed sectors* with 15 more waiting to be rechecked.

*208 sectors had data which was recoverable a placed into spare reallocation sectors.
I have been looking forever to find out wear I got the 3tb wd hd. I cant figer it out. Ebay, newegg or amazon. It is less than 3 years old. Can I just contact wd on this mater ?
ps. I have over 15 amazon acct's and evry senc I had home invashion I can log in to a few of the accts to see order history.
Should I replace my 2tb seagate's hdd ?..It also is about 3 years old.

Last edited:

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Is sumthing wrong with my pc ? I'm seeing my f drive has 140 relocated sectors and its only 4 months old. I never use'd it beffor. And I see my drive now has a 859 gb of total host writes and 1047gb of host reads. A few days ago wen posting picters it states it had 808 writes and 903 reads. How did that hapen ?
Edit: The only thing that has changed is after starting this topic I put a bunch of tv/movies on this hdd and used it for my 24/7 media drive.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
WD can warranty the drive based on the date of manufacture which you can find printed on the label.

What's going on with your PC we can't say. We don't know what you have installed or how you have it configured. Windows will access your drives during indexing but perhaps you have other things there that you cant see. Enable View hidden and System files in File Explorer Options: Open File Explorer, click File at the top, click Change Folder and Search Options, click the View tab at the top, place a dot in the bubble for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives, scroll down a few more and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files. Click OK and now view F: drive again and see what's there.

You can run WinDirStat or TreeSize (from Win10 store) as Admin (Rt click on it and select Run as Admin) and have it look for what is occupying space too.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
WD can warranty the drive based on the date of manufacture which you can find printed on the label.

What's going on with your PC we can't say. We don't know what you have installed or how you have it configured. Windows will access your drives during indexing but perhaps you have other things there that you cant see. Enable View hidden and System files in File Explorer Options: Open File Explorer, click File at the top, click Change Folder and Search Options, click the View tab at the top, place a dot in the bubble for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives, scroll down a few more and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files. Click OK and now view F: drive again and see what's there.

You can run WinDirStat or TreeSize (from Win10 store) as Admin (Rt click on it and select Run as Admin) and have it look for what is occupying space too.
I forgot to mention the wd hdd came out of a "my book" enclosure..

And as far as the many different os's/pc's that I plug the 2tb segate hd into. I do see sys volume info(sys restor) and recycle.bin. All settings are I usually disabled on all my computers. So there should not be any activity of writing. I'm surprised to see sys restore files on ..I must have forgot to disable that drive.