External HDD v internal HDD + external enclosure

NYOS87

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hello. My Dell Dimension C521's internal HDD has just about run out of space and I want to get a new HDD. Of course since its so slim I can't add it internally. So I was wondering whether or not I should get an external HDD or an internal HDD w/an external enclosure. Something else I'm considering is installing another OS in the new HDD. So I'd like to partition part of the drive for the OS (I'm considering a 500GB drive so about 150-200 would be for the new OS and the rest for extra storage for my current system). Would that be possible? And if so would it be easier on an external HDD, such as a WD Elements external HDD, or an internal HDD?

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
If you want to replace the drive in the system you should get a new internal drive and an enclosure to house your old drive otherwise it makes more sense just to get a prebuilt external. You don't want to install an OS on an external drive.

NYOS87

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I hadn't actually thought of doing it that way. I may consider it, although I may just go with a prebuilt external and just forget about installing an OS on it. Thanks.