External HDD with broken MBR

id104335409

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Is there no way to just recover the MBR and return all files instead of scanning all files with a recovery utility and copying them on another drive?
I have a 2TB external that somehow got damaged MBR and that means a lot of wasted time AND ANOTHER 2TB of free HDD that I don't have. Windows can't handle the drive, CHKDSK fails and EaseUS says the disk is UNFORMATED, but all the data just sits there intact. I started recovery just to see how long it will take.... damn too long and there is that question of How am I suppose to find another 2TB HDD? Especially if after the whole operation the old HDD will be once again useful. Why can't I just restore the MBR?

Hi

Have you tested the disk for physical damage yet?

both seagate & western digital have windows diagnostic software available for download
provided there is no physical damage there are a few program which may be able to rebuild the MBR

one is MBR Wizard from http://firesage.com

the free version is a old version and command prompt program

It is easier to pay a small fee for the GUI front end and lattest version ($12.99 USD)

Ideally you should back up the corrupted MBR before running the repair

regards
Mike Barnes

id104335409

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I really need to recover the partition that is now labeled as unformated. Just tried Mini Tool Partition Wizard with no success. The option Recover partition exited after a couple of hours with NO result whatsoever.
And I just finished TestDisk 7.0 Found several partitions after a looong scan and said that it cannot restore any of them.

TRENDING THREADS