External hdd with esata and usb

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hello I'm looking for an external hdd with eSATAp (eSATA is okay too but then it must be usb powered as i don't want the hassle with power adaptor) and regular usb 2.0 connection so it will be useful on other computers that doesn't have esata. The size would preferably be 1 TB but 500 GB is okay.

I've already found a harddrive with these specifications: http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en...rtable-hard-drive-1tb_5276_0_28934__1534.html but only one or two webshops seem to sell them here in Denmark and neither have them in storage so i was wondering if there were any alternatives?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad sentence constructions...

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply Ubrales, although the case and harddrives looks good it needs a external power supply which i really want to avoid because i already have an external harddrive enclosure with external power supply which i plugged the harddrive from into my desktop because the power supply made it awkward to transport around and it just sat there on my desk all the time anyway :)

So it's a requirement that it's powered either from eSATA (eSATAp) or from usb if the computer only have a regular eSATA port :)

It can be either USB2.0 or USB3 or eSATA - generally, USB2 and eSATA or USB3 - I have not seen any with all three; yet (and besides, USB3 is downwards compatible with USB2).

I prefer an external enclosure which has a built-in fan because the HDD can get quite hot within the confines of the enclosure.

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I don't have any computer with USB 3 nor do i even know anyone who does so getting a harddrive with USB 3 would completly defeat the purpose of it and yes there are harddrives with eSATA and USB 2.0: http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/product_store-n-go-esata-usb-combo-portable-hard-drive-1tb_5276_0_28934__1534.html (as i linked in my first post)

I've never had trouble with overheating my WD 2.5" My Passport 250 GB or even it reaching anything above room temeprature, sadly it died on me because i dropped it...

Yes, go with the one you picked. There is an advantage of buying locally.

Heat may be a problem depending on the drive make and model. Not all drives heat up at the same rate, or to the same temperature.