[SOLVED] External monitor attached to laptop won't wake from sleep ?

drlloyd2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've plugged a Samsung G7 as the primary display into the HDMI port on a recent-vintage ASUS ROG laptop (because these days a 15" screen means either a lot of squinting or enlarging everything enough that I can't fit everything I want to keep visible on the screen :p) running Win 10.

I mostly run the system plugged in and have set the screen to sleep after 10 min, and system sleep set to "never when plugged in".

If I step away for a bit and come back to sleeping screens, I can jiggle the mouse and wake up the laptop screen only. The system still knows the big screen is attached because it doesn't revert to using the laptop screen as primary, but the only way I've found to make the G7 wake up is to pull out the HDMI connector and plug it back in. Since doing this 5-6 times a day can't possibly be good for the longevity of my hardware, does anyone know if there's a solution for this that doesn't involve setting screen sleep to Never? I'll do that if I have to but would prefer to let it sleep when I'm not there.