External Monitor Cannot Turn on After Short Electricity Outage

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Have a dell xps laptop that i connect an external monitor to. My main screen would be the external monitor and my laptop screen would be the secondary screen.

Im located outside the us and where im at, its very common to have power outrages. Thus internet going out and also electricity going out. But when electricity goes out, it usually isn't that long. Many times it would go out for a few minutes then it would all come back etc. Theres been few times when the outage has been much longer.

I would immediately know this when my external monitor turns off and when my fans turn off. Then usually it comes back again. Well earlier this happened and everything turned off. So when this happens, the power in the refridgerator is off as well. Then the electricity seemed to have came back on.

However, I then went to power on my external monitor and nothing turns on because i notice the external monitor didn't turn back on which is almost always does.

Its an asus 24' monitor and its this one

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS24AH-P-WUXGA-1920x1200-Monitor/dp/B00CIZZ0QO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480108447&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+monitor+1920+x+1200

Can someone tell me how do i fix this issue? I connect my monitor to my laptop with an hdmi cable. The thing is when have the hdmi connected, on laptop screen it looks like how it should look. Basically there is nothing there. I extend both monitors where the main screen is my external monitor. I do notice that when i drag my mouse from my laptop screen to to the monitor... the mouse disappears from my laptop screen which means that my monitor should be working right?

Does anyone know what i can do here? Also as of now my electricity came back but my internet is not working. However, why is nothing showing up in my external monitor? I do have occasions
where my internet would be out but now my electricity came back. So why does my monitor not turn on?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I went to device manager and under display adapters, it shows

intel r hd graphics 530
nvidia geforce gtx 960m

when i click on each of it, both shows the device is working properly. This is when i unplugged the hdmi cable from my externall monitor. Thus right now im only using my laptop monitor as the screen since if i connect it to external monitor, i cannot type anything as the main screen would be my external monitor but it doesn't turn on. I click on the bottom buttons under this monitor and nothing turns on.

Also i like to add that i only have 2 electric outlets where my computer is located. One i used directly for the external monitor. The other one, i used a surge protector since i plug few things into it such as my laptop charger and my internet modem. Thus i need a surge protector because i dont have enough outlets.

Can someone tell me what i can do here? That should mean it has nothing to do with my graphics cards right since it does show working properly? Nothing turns on with the asus monitor. I clicked on all the buttons under it... nothing shows up...