External Monitor FPS drop

mdasgupta389

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am running a laptop with a GTX 1070 max-Q (https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS63VR-PRO-078-i7-7700HQ-Aluminum/dp/B074VL9R74/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538363559&sr=1-3&keywords=gs63vr+1070) on a 1440p acer external monitor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QS0AKVK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). When I am running games on the laptop natively, I am getting 80-100 fps. When I hook up the monitor and run games on identical settings, I am getting on average a 20-30 fps drop. The displays are duplicated when the monitor is hooked up. This problem has persisted through HDMI cable changes. Please help!

Solution

The laptop on the link you posted has a 1080p display.

Shutdown the laptop and start it with the lid closed, so it goes to the external monitor only. Does it change?

There are two situations that could cause that issue.
- You are playing on the external monitor while the laptop displays is also on, so the GPU works harder to drive both displays.
- When closing the lid Windows or the BIOS might enter into some type of power save.
Go to Power Options and change What does closing the lid do to Nothing
Check your laptop BIOS for Power Saving Mode and disable it.

Oct 1, 2018
It's not a 4k laptop screen according to the specs you've posted
Display: 15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 3ms 94%NTSC 1920x1080 | Operating System: Windows 10

pretty doubtful you'd be getting those sort of frame rates at 4k with a GTX 1070

The laptop on the link you posted has a 1080p display.

Shutdown the laptop and start it with the lid closed, so it goes to the external monitor only. Does it change?

There are two situations that could cause that issue.
- You are playing on the external monitor while the laptop displays is also on, so the GPU works harder to drive both displays.
- When closing the lid Windows or the BIOS might enter into some type of power save.
Go to Power Options and change What does closing the lid do to Nothing
Check your laptop BIOS for Power Saving Mode and disable it.

Solution