Question External monitor lag when laptop lid is closed ?

Horsebeard

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2016
Hi all,

I'm currently running my HP laptop with 1 external monitor via HDMI. With the laptop screen open, the performance is very smooth on the second screen. With the laptop closed, the screen lag is quite heavy.
I've tried turning off battery-saving settings, turn off fast boot, force the application towards my second graphics card, but performance seems to stay the same. Any ideas where I could find a solution for this?
Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM: 16,0 GB (15,9 GB usable)
NVIDIA GTX 960M + Intel HD Graphics 530
Windows 10

Lutfij

Titan
HP is the brand of the laptop. We're going to need the model for the laptop as well as it's SKU. While you're here, check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Cross reference HP's support site to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Don't jump to the latest, rather gradually work your way to the latest if you have a number of versions pending update.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers and reinstalling said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Horsebeard

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2016
HP is the brand of the laptop. We're going to need the model for the laptop as well as it's SKU. While you're here, check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Cross reference HP's support site to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Don't jump to the latest, rather gradually work your way to the latest if you have a number of versions pending update.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers and reinstalling said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Hiya, thanks for the quick answer. Here are the stats you requested:

Model: HP Pavilion 15-bc035nd
System SKU: X0M43EA#ABH
BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.26, 28-12-2016

Cross-referenced the bios version with the hp support assistant, and it seemed to indeed be quite an old version. I've now updated to the latest version via the client:
BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.56, 22-12-2020

Windows 10 v: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Checked via the windows update client, and this version seems to be the latest.

I have not yet uninstalled visual drivers with DDU. I've always relied on NVIDIA's site and the GeForce experience client for driver-related things.
Thanks again!

Horsebeard

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2016
I might have found something. It seems that when I close the visual program and open it on the monitor I want to use on (so not switching the program between monitors) makes the lag a lot less.