[SOLVED] External monitor on HP 440 G6 Laptop not working

ryanvox

Honorable
Aug 13, 2016
I work for IT in a hospital. We have a lot of people working from home right now. I have a HP 440 G6 a user is trying to hook up an external monitor via HDMI. The laptop will not detect it.

I have tried a different monitor, different cable, different adapter (HDMI to Display), all drivers are installed up to date, I tried re installing the driver with the external monitor plugged in, I upgraded the BIOS, I even grabbed another 440 G6 we had in stock brand new out of the box and imaged it. Same thing. We currently have two images. Windows 10 1709 and Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (which is build 1809). I tried both images and no luck on either device. I also checked bios to see if there was something in there causing this issue. Didn't find anything in there. The laptop has a USB-C port. I tried an adapter from that to HDMI as well. no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas of what to try next?

Solution
If nothing you tried works with that monitor, that is pointing to the monitor as the issue, unless there is something else not setup properly but without having the system and seeing what it's doing hard to tell over the internet.
Definitely not the monitor as I stated in the post I tried multiple monitors. I did find the culprit though. I was using Display to HDMI adapter. But I was using it backwards. The way I had it set up was HDMI cable coming out of the laptop to the adapter and Display into the monitor. This will not work because the signal will not go both ways. Instead of a Display to HDMI adapter I need an HDMI to Display adapter. Thanks to everyone who posted.

ryanvox

Honorable
Aug 13, 2016
If nothing you tried works with that monitor, that is pointing to the monitor as the issue, unless there is something else not setup properly but without having the system and seeing what it's doing hard to tell over the internet.
Definitely not the monitor as I stated in the post I tried multiple monitors. I did find the culprit though. I was using Display to HDMI adapter. But I was using it backwards. The way I had it set up was HDMI cable coming out of the laptop to the adapter and Display into the monitor. This will not work because the signal will not go both ways. Instead of a Display to HDMI adapter I need an HDMI to Display adapter. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Solution

Yep that would fall under "something else not setup properly" LOL, those adapters are not interchangeable as to which way you connect them. I spend a lot of time talking to people over the phone trying to sort out how they have things connected, I must get asked for "VGA to HDMI" adapters weekly and yet what they really need is Display port to VGA or HDMI to VGA, most people don't understand that the signal path usually matters and HDMI to VGA is not the same as VGA to HDMI.