Question External Monitor starts to stutter whenever I open my laptop lid.

Oct 30, 2019
Monitor: MSI MAG241CR
Laptop: Msi GP63
Basic specs: i7-8750H, GTX 1060 6G, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

The monitor works completely fine when the lid is closed, but when I open it, it starts to suffer from mild stutter that's very visible while playing FPS games or even simulator games in some occasions.
It's connected via HDMI 1.4 and monitor refresh rate is set to 120hz. (Although it can display 144hz, but I need DP for that.)
Here's a video to show the stutter. UFOTesters fails to sync up and the framerate is at 108fps average.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/493187970480734208/642789711156609086/video0.mov

P.S I had an issue where the external monitor would start to stutter insanely hard and dropped to about 40fps when the laptop lid was closed for a change, I turned off the setting "Fast Bootup" in Power & Sleep settings.

Thanks in advance, Martin.

EDIT!!! Whenever I open the laptop lid and have nothing being displayed on it apart from a stationary image, the external one is fine. But whenever something like a YouTube video is displayed on it, the external screen starts to stutter and lag.

EDIT 2!!! I've been doing some more troubleshooting and it seems like whenever I do something like scroll through Reddit on the laptop display the fps jumps to 60 on the external monitor, and when playing video on the laptop display YouTube it still suffers from stuttering on the external one.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS