Question External Monitor With Chromebook Laptop Flickering Screen?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Have an old acer chromebook bought years ago. Screen and everything was good for a while but then i treated the chromebook very bad such as not holding it correctly and holding it in spots you should never hold a laptop while carrying it around. Because of that, notice my screen has tons of issues as you see flashing lines like you would see with a messed up laptop screen or monitor. Term seem to be called flickering screen. So i been still using it for a bit and only way to make sure there is no screen issue is move the screen in a certain spot while moving it up and down while it is on a table. So if it is not in a certain spot, the screen basically flashes on and off. Would have those flashing stripes so to speak. Also would have many bright lines sometimes as well.

But the issue now is there is almost always some flickering no matter what. Now im pretty certain cause of it was the way i was holding and carrying the screen. Literally held the screen when you should never do this. Also recall occasionally getting some water on it as well but not that much. Don't believe this caused it. But how many keys on my keyboard has also stopped working. But number keys do not work and some letter stopped working.

Now is there a way to know the exact cause of this? This can't be a software or driver issue right?

So many times when i turn on my chromebook now, the flickering you see basically goes on and off. So you see flickering, then screen is dark and keeps repeating. So many times i cant even log into the chromebook because of this. Did notice however, it seem the only way the screen can stay on even with little flickering is if i almost close the lid on my laptop fully... you could see the screen showing option to log in to the chromebook. But the issue is you can't type on the keyboard because the lid is almost closed and you literally cannot even see inside that much. Because not only that, some number and letter keys do not work. So this has to be related? My issue though is i cannot get a new chromebook here where im located... because if i do, it won't be an english keyboard chromebook.

My question is... could i connect my chromebook with an hdmi cable to an external monitor... and once i do that... then it doesn't matter if my chromebook has screen issues for me to even log in? Or i still need to first be able to log into my google account in my chromebook laptop screen first... before i can use the external monitor? Also can use an external keyboard as well. But main issue is many times the screen is messed up so i can't even log in. So when i do get the screen to work but it still has some flickering... what i do is once i power off my laptop, i make sure i either don't move the laptop screen at all or move it very carefully... because once i move the chromebook screen and move it a bit, then the screen is back to flickering and turning on and off.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So right now, the only way i can use the chromebook where i could at least see the screen and be able to log in and it doesn't flicker that much... is literally open it up fully and then put it flat on the table. So imagine i type on the keyboard and the screen is on the table and im looking down on the table at the screen as oppose to looking straight at screen when sitting down.
But issue is bit later, the screen might not work again and keep flickering. So many times i made sure to never move my screen otherwise next time i turn it on, it would have flickering and turn on and off issues and can't even see the screen to log in

So would having an external monitor connected via hdmi to this chromebook at the beginning before i even power on the chromebook solve this issue? Or i still need to be able to see my chromebook screen at startup and need to enter my password first on chromebook screen first before i can make the external monitor my primary monitor? That way when i power on the chromebook even though it flickers or turn on and off... it wouldn't matter since i would be using the external monitor screen instead? Checked youtube and it seem this is a cable issue or screen issue and pretty sure i caused this with how i took bad care of this chromebook with the way i hold it and how some sometimes got water on the screen or keys..