Question External NVMe SSD slowish read/write speeds

Vcize

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I bought this NVMe SSD and put it in this external enclosure.

When I run CrystalDiskMark my read/write speeds are maxing out around 450mb/s.

I am testing on someone older computers, the USB3 ports on my XPS8700 desktop and HP Spectre x360 133 laptop. Is the USB3 a bottleneck here or should I be returning the drive or enclosure?

p.jpeg

USB 3.0 is 5.0 Gigabits/sec or, 650 Megabytes per sec...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

450-ish MB/sec is probably all you are going to see, roughly mid -range SATA-like speeds....(which should make a SATA spec SSD just about as fast, then..)

I'd imagine the NVME enclosures would more likely come into the limelight when connected to USB 3.1 and 3.2 connections (using old standards, as opposed to the chaotic/confusing new standards adopted), with USB 3.1 exactly twice as fast, so, 900-950+ MB/sec...

Vcize

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
one is bit, one is byte. anyway, usb 3.0 is the bottleneck
USB 3.0 is 5.0 Gigabits/sec or, 650 Megabytes per sec...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

450-ish MB/sec is probably all you are going to see, roughly mid -range SATA-like speeds....(which should make a SATA spec SSD just about as fast, then..)

I'd imagine the NVME enclosures would more likely come into the limelight when connected to USB 3.1 and 3.2 connections (using old standards, as opposed to the chaotic/confusing new standards adopted), with USB 3.1 exactly twice as fast, so, 900-950+ MB/sec...
You bought a Fast Nvme but put it in a USB M2. SSD. -
USB Enclosure M.2 NVMe SSD to USB 3.1

So you already restrict your speeds to SSD speeds 550MB Absolute max.
Like someone said, probably about 450MB is what you should expect

So some saying the USB port on the computer, some saying the enclosure. Is it both?

I'm assuming for the USB port I'd need a USB3.2 pcie card to throw into the computer? Any way to do this on the laptop or am I stuck needing a whole new laptop there?

Any conclusion on whether the enclosure is a problem or not? In the description it says USB3.1A so I wouldn't think that is restricting the speed, right?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
USB 3.1 can be either Gen 1 or Gen 2. Gen 1 is 5 Gbps, Gen 2 is 10 Gbps. That enclosure is Gen 2. Your desktop says it has USB 3.0, which is also 5 Gbps. The specs for that SSD list up to 3200 MB/s, which is equivalent to 25.6 Gbps. So your USB ports are the bottleneck, but even if they were 3.1 Gen 2 you still couldn't get the max speed out of that drive.

TRENDING THREADS