[SOLVED] External Optical Disc Drive Question

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to rebuild or replace my gaming PC either by the end of this or early next year. I plan to replace my PC case. Now my case has an external drive bay which allows me to install an internal optical disc drive. However, most of the gaming PC cases now do not allow the installation of an internal optical disc drive. If I cannot find a case that I would be satisfied with that allows the installation of an internal optical drive bay, I will purchase an external optical drive. The reason why I still use an optical drive is because in addition to gaming, I am also a music listener and somewhat of an audiophile and purchase my music in CD format to rip in lossless audio formats such as FLAC. I also prefer to buy my games in hard copy on CD or DVD when possible even though I use Steam and Guild of Gamers. My question is, in addition to burning and ripping my music, would a USB 3.0 cable on the external optical drive be powerful enough to handle the installation and playing of games off of the CDs and DVDs?

Thanks.

Solution
My current optical drive is a Blu ray Drive. I believe it can also write to blank Blu Rays. My budget is around $100 +/- $20. I am in the USA.

Hotaru, are you referring to a SATA 3 to USB 3.0 adapter where the SATA plugs into the optical drive and the USB into the PC? I have looked at a few links for external enclosures for internal optical drives but they seem to only have USB 3.0 connections. If possible, could you please provide links to what you are talking about?

Thanks.
I use something similar to this product: https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Convert...ywords=powered+SATA+to+USB+3.0+adapter&sr=8-7

It has to have external power, as standard USB cannot...
Are you a DVD only guy or do you need Blu Ray capability as well? What is your budget for this? What country or region are you in?

Yes, and external drive can do anything that an internal drive can do, plus it can be easily swapped between other devices like tablets, laptops, other desktops, etc.

Another option would be the purchase of an external enclosure for your current drive, but that tends to be significantly more bulky than a slim external optical drive, but certainly much cheaper as well.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Are you a DVD only guy or do you need Blu Ray capability as well? What is your budget for this? What country or region are you in?

Yes, and external drive can do anything that an internal drive can do, plus it can be easily swapped between other devices like tablets, laptops, other desktops, etc.

Another option would be the purchase of an external enclosure for your current drive, but that tends to be significantly more bulky than a slim external optical drive, but certainly much cheaper as well.
My current optical drive is a Blu ray Drive. I believe it can also write to blank Blu Rays. My budget is around $100 +/- $20. I am in the USA.

Hotaru, are you referring to a SATA 3 to USB 3.0 adapter where the SATA plugs into the optical drive and the USB into the PC? I have looked at a few links for external enclosures for internal optical drives but they seem to only have USB 3.0 connections. If possible, could you please provide links to what you are talking about?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.
I use something similar to this product: https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Convert...ywords=powered+SATA+to+USB+3.0+adapter&sr=8-7

It has to have external power, as standard USB cannot provide enough power.

Solution