[SOLVED] External or Primary for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys, I'm about to buy some storage but I'm abit confused which drive should be the fastest. The options are a small 128gb m.2 for boot drive and bigger ssd as storage or 512gb m.2 for Windows and games or even a regular SSD for Windows and 512gb m.2 for storage. Im not sure which drive does all the work when pulling from a storage device would the primary pull the game from the storage using main drive read and then secondary write speeds? I want to be abled to utilize all the m.2 speed to load up maps ect but I don't want to speed limiting if the main drive has a role to play which would be much slower.

Solution
It's not just Windows that lives on the boot volume. Every single piece of software that you install places pieces of itself there, even when instructed to install elsewhere. Also, your user profiles live there as well. This is why 128GB is far too small for a system drive. You will be spending far too much time trying to manage out of disk errors on a drive that small. An additional gotcha is that you can't load an SSD past 85-90% without serious performance issues. So your 128GB suddenly becomes only slightly larger than 100GB (usable).

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
128GB is FAR too small. Nothing smaller than 256GB should even be considered.
128gb would only be used as the boot drive just for Windows, everything else would go onto a bigger secondary. I'm basically trying to establish if the primary can have a negative impact on games loaded on a secondary. I mainly play rust and pubg which have big maps so the faster the better on those sorts of games. I don't want to go using a standard SSD and a fast m.2 for storage if the slower boot drive can slow down my m.2 drive. Im not entirely sure how they work together, obviously there's got to be some back n forth data transfer between them im concerned my faster m.2 speed could be bottlenecked by the read or write speed of the boot drive.

It's not just Windows that lives on the boot volume. Every single piece of software that you install places pieces of itself there, even when instructed to install elsewhere. Also, your user profiles live there as well. This is why 128GB is far too small for a system drive. You will be spending far too much time trying to manage out of disk errors on a drive that small. An additional gotcha is that you can't load an SSD past 85-90% without serious performance issues. So your 128GB suddenly becomes only slightly larger than 100GB (usable).

Solution

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks I think I'll get a 256gb GB SSD then to prevent any issues. This will also explain issues I'm currently having. Basically I got HWiD banned on rust for cheating so I had to take my ssd out I temporarily replace is with windows installed onto a 32gb SanDisk USB. To begin with it was fast until I tried to load rust and started to get random crashes. As for the games do.you know if the speed of the Primary effects the speed of games loaded onto a m.2 drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.