External Raid 5 device

plee55

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? My company is looking for an external raid 5 device for VSC and backing up some non-essential data. Unfortunately, my company's data is all over the place, and I would like to consolidate on to 1 server, and then have this device attached for the VSC and other shares. What does everyone recommend?? also, price is an issue, unfortunately.
Thanks!!!

r_manic

Administrator
Would you be ok with getting a network access storage (NAS) device, buying at least four hard disks, and setting up RAID 5 on it? What kind of capacities are you looking for anyway?

plee55

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I am sure the NAS would be ok, but trying to get something less expensive, but a bit reliable. The only thing i do not like about the NAS device(s), well the ones we are currently using, is that you are stuck with the OS.
Capacity: looking for something that will give me redundancy and also fault tolerance for the data. i am trying to bring all shares/data to one server or possibly NAS and then also run VSC on it. Unfortunately, I really like the features of VSC, so that means a windows based NAS. If not then an external raid-5 hard drive, but haven't been able to lock down one that has good reviews. I tried Drobo, but have mixed feelings on it. Any ideas/suggestions?
By the way, thank you for replying!