External Seagate HDD, Not Initialized

Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys,

So, I've got this 1TB Seagate Expansion Portable Drive connected through USB on a Win 10 OS.

Worked fine up until now and it's less than two years old. Sadly, I use it to back up my work. All my work, like ten years of work. Of course, foolishly I postponed backing it up on another device and of course, it's probably toasted. Was even thinking about backing it up just recently, I never learn...

What I've tried so far:

- The holy unplug/plug ritual, different USBs, reboots

- Trying it on a different PC, this time a Mac Mini which doesn't seem to register the drive at all but I'm not much of a Mac power user

- Uninstalling both the disk and the USB instances in Device Manager (drivers are up-to-date)

- Trying to rebuild the MBR using MiniTool Partition, such an option isn't even available / can't right click like I can on other HDDs connected to the system; it's listed as some generic USB driver device - JMicron JMS579 with a size of 0.50kb on MBR; other partitioning software doesn't even register it

- Properties => Tools => Check returns something like "can't access HDD"

- Changing the drive letter and running Chkdsk; returns "Cannot open volume for direct access"

- Even went as far as to try to initialize the HDD, although I'd lose all the data, I still get either an "Incorrect function" for MBR or something about the size being too small for GPT

Sooo, any ideas that would save my ass and my life's work and design resources or I should just toss the damn thing into the trash, set it on fire, dance crying around it, drink a gallon of vodka and then lie down next to it trying not to cry but crying nonetheless?

I know that there are services that can save the data for a couple of hundred Euro but at this point, I'll take it as a sign from the universe that I have to start clean, at least I've recently uploaded my project presentation to my website, so at least I have something to show for the lost work files.

Thanks in advance.

Hey and don't be like me and back up your shit :D Like right now.

demon.bg , you may contact Seagate support here to see if there are other alternatives. Best of luck and you can use this backup plan in the future.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Jan 24, 2019

Thanks but I really don't see how to contact a person with whom I can discuss my issue on that UX disaster of a site.